The future role of robots in our daily lives is a hot topic, especially when it comes to employment. With more and more industries welcoming the benefits of automation, various studies have predicted human job losses. In fact, one recent report estimates that 1 in 5 UK jobs could be at risk over the next decade, but just how worried are we and who is most concerned. RS Components has asked almost 2000 people around the UK how they feel about robots in the workplace.
Here are some key stats from the report:
- 1 in 5 Brits are worried about robots replacing them at work and, according to this study, they’re right to be concerned
- 16-24-year-olds are the most worried, with 35% concerned about robots taking over their job
- Over-55s are the least worried, with only 7% expressing concern
- Plymouth is the most worried city, with more than 1 in 4 respondents concerned about robots taking their job
- Over a fifth (21%) of respondents in Edinburgh are concerned they will lose out to robots
- Only 6% of respondents said they were looking forward to the job opportunities that future robotics and technology would provide